Saturday, June 7, 2014

Truthbook

Last night I met an old friend for dinner. It was nothing fancy, just Pizza Nova. I forgot that its still prom season, so we were surrounded by kids that had to have their parents hover nearby to pay for the pizza and greasy butter rolls. As I sat there, I just felt like a huge blob of blah. My conversation topics revolve around my students, their musical issues, and my desire to solve them. I sprinkle in a bit about my personal life, which was about how I hated high school and I missed 30 days during my junior year. I have no problem asking 20 questions since I am a teacher and part of my job is getting the latest scoop. What is a good time anymore? Laughter? Gossiping? Discussing the latest news worthy items? I don't watch tv, I don't watch movies, I read books that no one else would be interested in and I have cats. So, I will not be nominated for most interesting or most popular. My overall rating for the evening's conversation was a hard core fail. Its no wonder my phone only rings for lessons or last minute gigs. I'm a failure at making and keeping friends....there I said it. I have a much better track record with talking with kids. We have entertaining conversations and we never discuss anything serious. So, where are the adults that fit this criteria? They are around, I just don't have a magnetic beam to lure them to my neighborhood. Is this a rant on my poor social skills? Yes, it is! I am not blaming anyone else, I seriously have a problem. No amount of positive Facebook messages, or pictures of my food that no one else would eat, or pictures of my cats, will erase the truth. You know, how about a Truthbook? Wouldn't that be nice if we could really post what we are doing or how we are feeling? Do you honestly believe that everyone is out and about spending money, eating out, engaging with friends, and having the time of their lives without any negative thoughts? I don't. Today, instead of having a pity party, I went out to lunch after my last lesson and stood in line at Subway. Lo and behold the violin teacher of Suzuki Strings spotted me and waved me over to cut in front of the 10 kids who just came from a soccer tournament. We shared our teacher stories and bought sandwiches then headed back to the church to eat lunch. Wow! Did I just score the award for spontaneous lunch date? Yes! The planned outings fall through, but the spontaneous adventures are a major win. Then I waved to the custodian and he came over and sat down for a while and chatted. As I walked back through the sanctuary, I noticed the lady who tends the garden was milling around and I stopped and talked to her until her cell rang. Wow! 3 for 3. Why not drive over to Mary M.'s house and deliver a belated orchid for her birthday gift. Again, major score. We chatted, she offered a cup of coffee, I chatted with her husband and then drove home. 5 for 5! Orchids, birds, and truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment